Incredible Katsu dish full of flavour and incredible, natural ingredients. Wow your guests with this versatile recipe.
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ small sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 2 tsp Peak Blends Katsu Gold Dust
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 300ml good quality vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 large aubergine, sliced into 1cm discs
- 100g plain flour
- 100g panko
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 x 250g microwavable rice, to serve
1. Heat the sesame oil on a low heat and sauté the onion till translucent. Add grated carrot and sweet potato and continue stirring for a further 10 minutes.
2. Add garlic and ginger, stir to incorporate. To the pan, add soy sauce, ketchup, Katsu Gold Dust and stir for 2 minutes. When carrot and sweet potato are soft, add to a blender with the vegetable stock and blend till smooth.
3. Return to pan bring to a gentle simmer. In a small bowl, mix the cornflour and water till smooth. Pour into the pan and stir to thicken. Taste and check for seasoning.
4. Take three small bowls; place flour in the first, egg wash in the second and panko in the third.
5. Dip aubergine slice first into the flour, shake off excess and then dip into egg wash. Remove from egg wash bowl and coat in panko breadcrumbs. Repeat process until all slices are coated.
6. Add 1 cm of vegetable oil to a heavy based pan and bring to heat. To check if oil is hot enough, dip the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil’ if the oil bubbles steadily, it is hot enough for frying.
7.Carefully, add the aubergine slices and fry on each side till golden and crispy (around 3 minutes). Remove from oil and place the fried slices on a sheet of kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
8. Cook rice according to packet instructions and divide between bowls. Place aubergine slices on top with katsu sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds, spring onion, sliced avocado and edamame beans.
Substitutes & Suggestions
- You could swap the aubergine for strips of chicken breast using the same frying method.
- If you can’t source panko, breadcrumbs can be used instead.
- Swap sesame oil for vegetable if you suffer from a nut allergy.
Katsu Gold Dust£4.75
Recipe prepared for Peak Blends by Rebecca Cooks
This recipe was prepared for Peak Blends by Rebecca Cooks. Check out her blog for amazing recipes here…