It’s Taco time! Try out this exotic, super fresh recipe to inject a Mexican flavour to your evening.
- 250g cod, cut into 2 cm strips
- 6 corn tacos
- 70g panko
- 70g plain flour
- 1 tbsp Pepper Pit blend
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Cabbage Slaw
- 200g red cabbage, finely shredded
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Pinch sea salt
- Mango Salsa
- 80g fresh mango, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- Handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- To make the salsa, add the chopped mango, red chilli, red onion, coriander, lime juice and a pinch of salt to a bowl. Mix well and set aside to chill.
- To make the slaw, add shredded cabbage, lime juice, sour cream and salt to a bowl. Mix and set aside to chill.
- Take three small bowls; place flour in the first, egg wash in the second and panko/Pepper Pit spice blend in the third.
- Dip cod strip first into the flour, shake off excess and then dip into egg wash. Remove from egg wash bowl and coat in panko breadcrumbs. Repeat process until all of the fish is coated.
- Add 1 cm of vegetable oil to a heavy based pan and bring to heat. To check if oil is hot enough, dip the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil’ if the oil bubbles steadily, it is hot enough for frying.
- Carefully, add the breaded cod and fry on each side till golden and crispy (around 3 minutes). Remove from oil and place the fried slices on a sheet of kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
- Heat tacos on a griddle pan.
- To serve: Add slices of avocado to each taco, followed by salsa, fried cod, cabbage slaw.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and a slice of lime.
Substitutes & Suggestions
- You can substitute the cod for another white fish such as sea bass, hake or haddock.
- Use a mandolin or a box grater to finely shred the cabbage.
- If you can’t find corn tacos, substitute for flour tortilla wraps.
Recipe prepared for Peak Blends by Rebecca Cooks
This recipe was prepared for Peak Blends by Rebecca Cooks. Check out her blog for amazing recipes here…